Planning your fundraising event can be lots of fun, but it also requires lots of details. Use this checklist to ensure that your event goes smoothly.
- Establish the fundraising potential of your idea before committing too much time and energy. Will the amount of money you expect to raise substantially offset related costs?
- Check for scheduling conflicts. For instance, don't plan your activity for the same time as a major, nationally televised sports event!
- Plan well ahead so that you don't scramble at the last minute. Planning ahead will also ensure that everyone you know puts your event on their calendar.
- If you plan an outdoor event, have a contingency plan in case it rains.
- Seek permission from your local authority if your event takes place in a public venue and you expect a large crowd. Some events involving music, food and alcohol require a licence.
- Understand the difference between a lottery and a raffle. Small raffles are fine providing they don’t offer cash prizes and are part of a larger event. Otherwise, you may need a licence.
- Keep the ORBIS Canada registered charity information on hand in case you need it. Our registered charity number is 886490 994 RR0001.
- Be mindful of health and safety issues and the potential need for insurance. If in doubt, ask.
- Don’t be too aggressive when it comes to soliciting donations. You don't want to offend anyone. Also remember that door-to-door collecting is illegal without a licence.
- Remember to thank everyone after the event and let them know how much you’ve raised.
For further information on planning your event or to see examples of other people's projects, see: